At Welholme Academy, we recognise the importance of Science in every aspect of daily life. As one of the core subjects taught in Primary Schools, we give the teaching and learning of Science the prominence it requires.
The Scientific area of learning is concerned with increasing pupils’ knowledge and understanding of our world, and with developing skills associated with Science as a process of enquiry. It will develop the natural curiosity of the child, encourage respect for living organisms and the physical environment and provide opportunities for critical evaluation of evidence.
At Welholme Academy, in conjunction with the aims of the National Curriculum, our Science teaching offers opportunities for children to:
· develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of Biology, Chemistry and Physics;
· develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of Science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them;
· be equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of Science, today and for the future.
· develop the essential scientific enquiry skills to deepen their scientific knowledge.
· Use a range of methods to communicate their scientific information and present it in a systematic, scientific manner, including I.C.T., diagrams, graphs and charts.
· Develop a respect for the materials and equipment they handle with regard to their own, and other children’s safety.
· Develop an enthusiasm and enjoyment of scientific learning and discovery.
The National Curriculum will provide a structure and skill development for the science curriculum being taught throughout the school, which is linked, to the theme topics to provide a creative scheme of work, which reflects a balanced programme of study.
In Early years, science is taught through the children learning about the world around them in their learning through play. Additional opportunities are provided in Science, such as educational visits linked to the science curriculum, such as visits to the Yorkshire Wildlife Park and the National Space centre.
We endeavour to ensure that the Science curriculum we provide will give children the confidence and motivation to continue to further develop their skills into the next stage of their education and life experiences.
Science Curriculum Intent
Science Coverage Overview
For more information regarding our science curriculum, please talk to your child's class teacher or Miss Fuller.
Please click here to view the Science Twitter feed.